Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Kiddy English: teaching English to your baby

Kiddy English
Hi there!!! It's been a while since I was here for the last time, sorry! I've been really busy with my daily life and had little time for my blog(s).
But I'm back to tell you about a book that I found really helpful when I first started speaking English to my daughter. It's Kiddy English,  by Richard Brown (Vaughan Systems).
I recommend it to all those parents who are not native English speakers, but wish to communicate with their children in that language. It is divided into 20 chapters, each one devoted to a different vocabulary area: getting dressed, baby food, bathtime, school, etc. In every chapter, you'll find vocabulary and common sentences obviously related to that area. There is also one song and a short story. It includes a CD where you can listen to the songs and the sentences, to make sure that your pronunciation is correct.
Honestly, the songs are not great, and the vocabulary and sentences sections can't cover all the possible situations that you may need, as they are not thorough compilations. But they are really good examples of useful stuff and you can use them as a starting point to improve your own English.
I was given this book as a present, and I found it really interesting, because I had huge trouble in finding real English baby language.I finally found it in this book.
You can buy it at Vaughan website, Imaginarium and probably somewhere else too.
I hope you like it! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the info, i was looking sth like that for my baby. I will take a look tomorrow at Imaginarium, bye!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mamen, I discover this book recently when I was looking for my blog's name. It's great, but not enough. For example, yesterday my little one and I were going for a walk, and he was riding his motorbike and I wasn`t able to speak to him in english all this orders:
    Cruza rápido que vienen coches.
    Tienes que ir por la acera no por la carretera.
    No puedes conducir la moto por las escaleras.
    Gira a la derecha/izquierda.
    Da media vuelta.
    Sigue recto.
    Sigue este camino.
    Baja/sube de la moto.
    ...
    Thanks for your blog, it's quite interesting and hepful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Merti! I think that, not being native speakers, we'll come across tricky situations all the time, when we'll feel frustrated about our English.
    I think the best thing to do is to say those things in our native language, and try to find the correct translation later.
    Regards xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    Sorry but I cannot agree. I never speak in my native language to them unless it is absolutely necessary. It wouldn't work. Too confusing. Thanks for the blog.
    Regards,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!!!